Mrs. Roberts teaches AVID class
Mrs. Roberts teaches AVID class
Photo by Aisha DeBurr

Ms. Roberts recognized as Teacher of the Year

Ms. Roberts has always taken pride in her job, but now it is apparent her job is just as proud of her.

On March 28, AVID teacher and coordinator Ms. Jennifer Roberts was selected as Teacher of the Year for Legacy High School by a vote conducted by other teachers. She has worked for MISD as a teacher for a total of 11 years, 5 of which were spent teaching AVID.

“I’m not sure why my colleagues selected me as Teacher of the Year, but I like to think that they see the extra work that I have done to grow our AVID program and help more of our students,” Ms. Roberts said. “It’s truly a team effort, and I couldn’t have done it without my colleagues. We have so many great teachers on our campus, and it’s an honor to be recognized with this honor.”

Ms. Roberts views teaching as a calling and believes it serves to do more than just transfer information from a teacher to a student. This shows in her total 14 years of teaching at various districts.

“Successful teachers are able to make a connection that broadens the student’s idea of the world and of what they can accomplish in life,” Ms. Roberts said. “They inspire to dream big and put aside short term pleasures for long term rewards.”

Through her teaching position, she can help students who will be the first in their families to attend college as their parents may not be familiar with the process. Beyond teaching, Ms. Roberts also leads the AVID program, expecting greatness not only of her students, but also the other faculty members around her.

“Because of the teachers who invested in me and helped me to reach my educational goals, I am passionate about helping my students reach their full potential. It is a blessing to be able to have a lasting impact in my students’ lives,” Ms. Roberts said.

Among others, Ms. Brooke Parlin nominated and voted for Ms. Roberts for this award.

“Mrs. Roberts puts in tons of hours throughout the calendar year, including summer, to make our AVID program the best it could possibly be,” Ms. Parlin said. “She goes above and beyond to make sure her AVID students have all the resources and support they need to be successful.”