2016-17 Extracurricular Wrap-up

Senior Austin Bernal practices alongside his fellow cadets.
Photo by Colbi Branch

Throughout the year, extracurriculars excelled in competitions on the state and national level. These were some of their individual achievements.

Aca Dec
The Academic Decathlon team moved on to the state level of competition this year. At the competition, junior Elliot Reed earned a bronze medal for Interview and junior Nathan Haslam earned gold medals for interview and language/literature while senior Josh Hogue earned a silver medal for essay writing and bronze for interview.

Art
At this year’s MISD art show, Legacy art students won 10 of the 28 total possible awards while competing against the other Mansfield high schools. At the VASE regional competition, 53 students received the top score on their entries. Of these students, 14 earned the top score on two of their entries. From there, six students, junior Kyle Boessler, junior Emma Randall, senior Alex Edgar, senior Lauren Higuera, senior Brittney Nagim and senior Heba Zakaria made it into the state level of competition.

Cheerleading
The Cheerleading squad had a year packed full of different activities and awards. Among their multiple community service projects, the team participated in the MISD Back to School Bash, Toys for Tots and making decorations for patients at New Century Hospice. Eight individuals made the All American cheer team. Continually, the JV and varsity teams each earned honors from the National Cheerleaders Association.

JV Team Awards
Technical Excellence for Stunts
Stunt S.A.F.E. Award
1st Performance Evaluation – Superior Ribbon for Chant Performance & Excellent Ribbon for Cheer Performance
2nd Performance Evaluation – Superior Ribbon for Chant Performance & Superior Ribbon for Cheer Performance
Final Day Competition – Junior Varsity Game Day Top Team

Varsity Team Awards
Herkie Team Award
Technical Excellence for Crowd Involvement
Stunt S.A.F.E. Award
Final Day Competition – Small Varsity Game Day Top Team

Choir
This year, the Legacy Ladies, varsity women and the Chamber choir earned straight one ratings at the UIL contest. In addition, the Chamber choir earned overall best mixed choir and Grand Champion at Festival di Voce. The show choir placed fifth at the Lone Star Show Invitational. At the solo contest in March, 38 soloists earned a superior rating.

Dance
At the Showtime International Competition, officers for the varsity and JV teams earned Best in Category and Circle of Champions for all of the dances the teams performed that day. At the same competition, the JV team earned Best in Category for their Military dance and the varsity team earned best in category for their Jazz and Military dances.
At the Crowd Pleasers Competition, the dance team earned the First Runner Up Officer Lyrical, Best in Category for Team Open Military/Step, 2nd Runner Up Team Jazz and Academic Excellence Award for Highest Team GPA.

Debate
Debaters this year brought in over 60 trophies. Debate coach Mr. Howard Ritz earned the First Diamond Degree from the Debate Association’s Honor Society. At the state octofinals, seniors Devyn Hinds and Benjamin Speigner took second place and qualified for the Texas Interscholastic League Foundation scholarship. Also, senior Alyssa Crosby won first place at the Northeast Texas Debate Association Championship and sophomore Phillip Ipock won second place at the district UIL competition, which qualified him for UIL region.

Journalism
The journalism team had an exciting and productive year. The newspaper staff received two national awards, the Gold Crown and Pacemaker awards, as well as a top state award, the Star. In addition, the yearbook staff earned the Silver Crown, a Pacemaker and a Silver Star Award. Also, junior Grant Baker earned an honorable mention for his story America’s Pastime.

JROTC
Throughout the year, JROTC competed and placed in ten competitions including national competitions. Within the categories in these competitions, they placed first 19 times, second 11 times and third 10 times. In the National Drill competition, they finished in 13th place. Additionally, the cadets earned over 30 recognition awards this year.

Theater
Throughout the year, the theater department kept busy. They performed a total of eight productions, including three mainstage productions and a full musical. Three individuals also earned awards for their One Act Play. Sophomore Kara Spencer received the Honor Crew Award, senior Brittney Nagim earned Best Actress in the District competition and senior Clara Griepp earned an Honorable Mention All Star Cast Award. Continually, Griepp made state for her costume designs in the production of Into The Woods.

Ashley Bow
Ashley Bow, Personalities Editor
I am a section leader in band and an editor for this wonderful newspaper. I can't wait to have fun and make some new memories in my senior year!
Colbi Branch
Colbi Branch, Photographer