Help For Harvey: Opportunities to Soften the Storm

Seniors Ashley Owen and Tiffany Vo cheer as Officer Aaron Rengal donates money to Key Clubs Hurricane Harvey donation drive. Key Club, Student Council, Legacys Nurses, MISD and Journalism teachers are all doing their part to help with Hurricane Harvey relief.
Photo by Dalton Mix
Seniors Ashley Owen and Tiffany Vo cheer as Officer Aaron Rengal donates money to Key Club’s Hurricane Harvey donation drive. Key Club, Student Council, Legacy’s Nurses, MISD and Journalism teachers are all doing their part to help with Hurricane Harvey relief.

Hurricane Sandy made American landfall 1,500 miles away. The Katrina destruction peaked when Legacy’s current oldest seniors were, at the most, six years old. But the newest country-shaking monsoon, Hurricane Harvey, provides high school students in our state with a unique opportunity and responsibility to help our neighbors and fellow Texans weather the storm.

Students, teachers, administrators, and nurses are collecting supplies and money for those impacted by Harvey. Here are a few ways you can help:

Ms. Watkins and Ms. Rombach, Legacy’s nurses, are collecting supplies for people fleeing to Dallas after the storm and subsequent flooding displaced them from their homes. All supplies are donated to the Health Services of MISD, and then subsequently utilized by another donation center.

What you can bring:
New underwear
New socks
New warm-ups for men, women, children, and infants
Toiletries/Hygiene products
Baby formula
Baby wipes
Diapers
Graco Pack n’ Plays for babies to sleep in.
Items can be brought to the Legacy Clinic.

MISD requests that students and parents bring supplies to their school, which will be passed on to the Salvation Army. The donations will be taken down to the Gulf Coast area to assist in relief efforts. Supplies can be brought and placed on the pallets in the front of the cafeteria.

What you can bring:
Cases of bottled water
Cases of Gatorade
Granola bars
New Toothbrushes
New Toothpaste
New and unopened disposable diapers
New and unopened disposable baby wipes
Please bring your donations to campus from now until Friday, Sept. 8.

Student Council and Key Club are working with feeder schools to collect change that will be donated to the Salvation Army in Houston to help with relief efforts.

What you can bring:
Spare change
Money is collected during all lunches and can be dropped off in the StuCo room at any time.

Ms. Rachel Dearinger and Mr. Leland Mallett, journalism advisors, are collecting books and gift cards to help elementary schools in the Gulf Coast Area and the Cy Creek high school journalism department.

What you can bring:
Children’s books
Gift cards
These supplies can be brought to the journalism room, EO102.