Varsity Football: Timberview Game Preview

Quarterback Jalen Catalon runs the ball at an attempt for a first down in the game against Lancaster.

Tori Greene

Kendra Washington, Sports Editor

Pink Out will be held on Friday, Oct. 13. There will be a pre-game BBQ showdown and tailgate at the Phoenix Academy across the street from RLA stadium. Tickets for the BBQ showdown are $5. Mr. Perry and Mr. Villegas will be representing Legacy. All profits will be donated to Moncrief Cancer Institution.

The Broncos currently hold a second-place district spot and will have to remain in the top four to make playoffs. Timberview currently stands at fifth place, so a win against Legacy could bump them up to a playoff-qualifying fourth place. Junior defensive end Taurean Carter said that the Broncos will have to bring their A game.

“We can’t give them [any] breathing room. We can’t have mishaps and miscommunication and struggles like we did against Lancaster,” Carter said.” We’ve gotta come out the gates fully on the gas. If you’re on the field and you’re not working for anything why are you there? Why are you doing it?”

The Wolves are looking to come back from a close 29-22 loss against Midlothian last week, who the Broncos defeated earlier this season. Junior strong safety Jared Hopper said that he has a big picture focus for the Broncos.

“We’re going for the number one spot, it doesn’t stop there,” Hopper said. “ We’re gonna continue on, we’re gonna go into playoffs, we’re gonna do well in playoffs and then we’re gonna go to the state championship.”

Junior quarterback and safety Jalen Catalon currently has the fourth highest number of rushing yards in the district and the second highest number of interceptions. Junior quarterback Cameron Clark has the fifth highest number of passing yards in the district with 285 so far this season. Senior Grant Johnson currently leads the district in touchdowns, total points scored and rushing yards. Coach Rob Hagey said that the Broncos have been focused and are prepared for the match.

“You have to practice as hard against them as anyone else. We expect our kids to go out there and perform and stay focused,” Coach Hagey said. “Our eyes are on a district championship and going beyond that.”

The Broncos will face Timberview at R.L Anderson Stadium at 7:30 p.m.