Broncos Roll Past Burleson, Advance to Round 2

Junior+Jalen+Catalon+jumps+over+defenders+during+Legacys+playoff+match+against+Burleson.+Legacy+will+advance+to+Round+2.+
Photo by Kassidy Duncan
Junior Jalen Catalon jumps over defenders during Legacy’s playoff match against Burleson. Legacy will advance to Round 2.

After defeating Burleson 42-3, Legacy will advance to the second round of playoffs against Kimball at Kincaide Stadium. The match will be held on Friday, Nov. 24 at 7:30 p.m.

After senior Demauryon Holmes blocked a Burleson punt, defensive tackle senior Rodney Jones recovered it in Legacy’s end zone for a Bronco touchdown.

Jones said that he thanks the Lord for all of the Broncos’ success.

“I feel blessed. All the hard work we’ve been putting in, in the summer [and] in off season, it’s finally shown tonight,” Jones said. “We just need to continue to play harder and harder. We beat his team easy so next week so I feel like next time we need to play a little harder cause you never know what’s going on next week.”

Senior Michael Chin had a 72-yard carry for his first touchdown of the season.

“I’m blessed. We get to another week. I’m proud of my team,” Chin said. “It’s just hard work and dedication. We just gotta keep fighting until the end.”

The Kimball Knights are 4-7 so far this season. Their player to watch is Quarterback Jamel McWilliams. McWilliams averages 131.2 passing yards per games, so the Broncos’ defense will have to keep their heads up and watch for the pass.

The Knights lost earlier this season to Dallas Spruce who the Broncos defeated last season in the second round of playoffs.

Junior Defensive Lineman Enoch Jackson Jr. had a total of four tackles against Burleson. Two of these included a loss of yards.

“[Going into round two] feels phenomenal. We’ve got a good shot to win it all,” Jackson said. “I’m taking away from [this season] just working hard every time, every day, every play, every practice because if you don’t then like what happened to us against Lake Ridge, it could all go down the drain.”

Offensive and Defensive powerhouse Jalen Catalon carried the ball for a total of 112 yards, scored one touchdown, and had three tackles during the round one victory against Burleson.

“We’ve got the tempo going, we’ve got the momentum going so now we just gotta keep it going,” Catalon said. “[I’m] looking forward to seeing what playoffs has to hold for us. Our team’s looking really good and I think state is in our reach if we just keep our heads on a swivel.”