Daniel’s Decision: StuCo Sponsor Becomes Stay-At-Home Mom

Photo by Seth Miller
Student Council advisor Ms. Julie Daniel has elected to leave Legacy to spend more time with her son. Daniel’s StuCo duties will be taken over by Ms. Kenna Cavnar.

After getting a text from their advisor, student council students walk into class, take their seats and prepare for the day ahead of them. Following her instruction in the message, the students came straight to B101 for the important news.

Student council sponsor and Teen Leadership teacher Ms. Julie Daniel told her students on Dec. 7 that she has made the decision to quit teaching and stay home with her son as he grows up.

“I spend all of my time with [student council students],” Daniel said. “I didn’t want them hearing from anyone other than me.”

Since the news, Daniel has told a few of her coworkers of her decision to leave. US History teacher and senior class sponsor, Ms. Kenna Cavnar, has been assigned to take over her classes, and will be replacing Daniel on Feb. 1 after she finishes out the month of January.

“My goal with the transition is to make sure there are no problems,” Daniel said. “So I won’t be here every day but I will help as needed from home.”

During her time at Legacy, Daniel has grown from the events she has helped plan and the students she has had the opportunity to teach. Not only was this her first experience as a high school teacher, but as a student council advisor as well.

“Watching you guys have a sense of pride in the events you put on is my best memory,” Daniel said. “We reflect on every event when it’s over, and that’s an important skill. Knowing when to let something go when an event isn’t successful is important.”

Daniel has enjoyed the events as well as sharing her own high school experience with her students.

“This wasn’t an easy decision because I consider these kids my kids too,” Daniel said. “All of my kids have a place in my heart.”