Fab Lab
Fab Lab

Review: ‘Peter and The Starcatcher’

Katy Thomas and Andrew Bates, 12, perform Peter and the Starcatcher during preview night on Oct 17. The show will run until Oct 21.
Photo by Zane Hudson
Katy Thomas and Andrew Bates, 12, perform “Peter and the Starcatcher” during preview night on Oct 17. The show will run until Oct 21.

Theater started their mainstage season Oct. 18 with “Peter and the Starcatcher”: the prologue to Peter Pan. The show follows “a boy named orphan” who, through intense challenges and tough realizations, grows to be the well-known leader of the Lost Boys.  

The story keeps the audience engaged by posing questions throughout like, “How will they survive?”, “Are they really going to live through this too?” and “How many theater kids does it take to make magic real?”

The cast also does a fantastic job at immersing the audience in the plot. They use sound effects to emphasize small actions and changing lights help to create the mood.

For example, in one scene Molly, the show’s protagonist, travels through various rooms. As she goes from one room the next, the lights dim in different ways and the door creaks. Small details such as these contribute to the overall magic of the show.

Each member of the cast takes on the essence of their characters and creates memorable interpretations of them. “Blackstache,” played by senior Katy Thomas, especially shows this dedication in her character, and adds a lighthearted spin on the notorious villain. During one intense scene, her pain was indistinguishable from real life.

The cast also speaks in British accents throughout the show. Although this makes understanding of some lines difficult, it is yet another small detail that adds depth to the show.

As the show comes to an end, the small details that appeared throughout the show come together. The audience can expect to walk away with important life lessons and a sense of comforting nostalgia.

Peter and the Starcatcher will show on Oct 19 and Oct 20 at 7 p.m. and Oct 21 at 2 p.m. in the PAC. Tickets are $5 for students and $7 for adults.

Brinley Koenig
Brinley Koenig, Editor-In-Chief
Hey, I’m Brinley. I like to watch Gilmore Girls, drink overpriced artesian water, buy things I don’t need, and pretend I have the time and money for all of those. To sum it all up, “I don’t know what I’m doing, but I know I’m doing it really, really well.”
Zane Hudson
Zane Hudson, Social Media Editor
I'm Zane Hudson and I like to play baseball.