Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond
Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond

Pink Fest Changed to U.2.F.C.

Cheerleaders create a cancer ribbon for last years PinkFest.
Cheerleaders create a cancer ribbon for last year’s PinkFest.

Pink Fest has changed for 2014.

In the past, Legacy has participated in a week of breast cancer awareness called Pink Fest. The week included various activities to raise awareness for people who currently have or have beaten breast cancer. But this year, the student leaders has taken an alternate route, creating a new event named U.2.F.C. (United to Fight Cancer).

The week-long event, United 2 Fight Cancer, focuses on all cancers instead of focusing on one specific cancer. The event holds more than a monetary value to nearby communities. It brings the community together to try to beat a deadly disease.

“I feel like people are very positive about the new change,” Student Council sponsor Sarah Ausdenmoore said. “I am very proud of my council and how hard they’re working to make this event possible.”

During this event there will be many games, inflatable obstacle courses, food, a fun-run, entertainment, t-shirts available for purchase and much more; anything and everything to get more people aware of the deadly disease. During the time of this event the Legacy Student Council will raise money to donate to the research to defeat cancer.

“I like how it is directed towards all cancers,” senior Natalie Von-Tress said. “It will help get more people involved because U.2.F.C. won’t be focused on one cancer.”

The new event will take place in December. As far as in-school activities, the event will feature dress up days, a pep rally and a music fundraiser. Even though U.2.F.C. may not be as big this year as Pink Fest was, Mrs. Ausdenmoore says it will improve as the years go on.

[Get more info on ordering shirts here]

“It has a great idea behind it, and I’m ready to see how it turns out,” junior Parker Brown said. “I’m going to miss the breast cancer awareness, but it will be good to see changes happen.”

Student Council members have set a goal to turn this event district wide.

“Even though people complain that Pink Fest was what should have happened,” Ausdenmore said. “U.2.F.C is where we’re going to get most of our support.”

Garrett Brantley
Garrett Brantley, Staff Writer
My name is Garrett Brantley I am a junior and I'm on the varsity football team. Texas country is where it's at and I love spending my time at the drag strip and with my family. I'm a pretty easy-going person and like to be stress free and open minded.
View Comments (1)
$3000
$5000